Friday, June 14, 2013

Module 1 Reading Response



Sharla Bryant
6/14/13
Module 1 Reading Response
               As a kindergarten teacher, teaching reading is extremely important to me. I am always working hard to make sure my students are receiving the best reading instruction that I can give them. For this reason, I found Weaver’s thoughts on the definitions of reading that teachers project to their students so interesting. I realized very quickly that through our current practices with the phonics program that is used at my school, we are encouraging students to see reading through the skills approach. We focus so much in the beginning stages on letter recognition, letter sounds, and sight words. We are focusing on teaching students the process and lose sight of teaching them a comprehensive approach.
               In chapter one of Reading Process & Practice, Weaver states that “underlying a comprehensive literacy approach is the conviction that first and foremost, reading means constructing meaning and using everything you know in order to do it” (Weaver 3). I think that it is important to teach phonics and to make sure students have a strong base, but it is also important to teach children to construct meaning.


Resource
Weaver, C. (2002). Reading process and practice (3rd ed.). Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

1 comment:

  1. Sharla,
    I absolutely agree with you! While the basic foundation is important, the students need to be able to see beyond the words. Has Forsyth implemented the CCSPS? If so, did you noticed a shift in the focus for reading?

    ReplyDelete