| OR: It my little monkey here. | ER: Is my little monkey here? |
| OR: We got to tell. | ER: We've got to tell. |
| OR: Frog look at Toad calendar. | ER: Frog looked at Toad's calendar. |
| OR: A word what sounded good. | ER: A word that sounded good. |
| OR: hisself | ER: himself |
| OR: I can come to your party? | ER: Can I come to your party? |
I consider these responses to be evidence of proficient reading. There are miscues in each response, but most of the errors are grammatical or non conventional sentence structure. In our text for the course, Weaver suggests that even the most proficient readers make miscues because their brains are constantly working for formulate meaning. The children are not answering incorrectly, but code switching their responses to their dialect.
If I were teaching these children, I would praise them for being able to construct meaning and put their response in their own words. If I had a group of students who were making the same miscues, I may put them in a group and focus on grammar and sentence structure. I would also make sure that I had materials in the classroom for them to play with that encouraged the exploration of sentence structure like word tiles that they could put together. I would also read aloud often to expose them to the appropriate way of reading and responding without switching to their dialect. Something I have found useful in my classroom is the use of phonics phones. These allow students to hear themselves as they are reading.
Hi Sharla,
ReplyDeleteI really like all the strategies that you gave to help your students that are making the same miscues. I like the idea of placing the students together and working with them in small group to practice these skills again. Giving them hands on activity to explore sentence structure is a great idea. I will definitely remember to use this idea. Also, I love the idea of using phonic phones to allow them to listen to themselves read. I actually do something very similar during my guided reading group. I would video record the student reading on my ipad and then allow them to watch it and reflect on their reading.
Hey Sharla,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you and think that the children identified are proficient readers. Proficient readers still make miscues, like substituting words. Reading is about comprehension and the miscues they made did not change the meaning of the sentences in any way. I think the students should continue to practice their comprehension skills, read alouds are great to do that. I loved the suggestion you gave about having materials, like phonics phones, in the classroom to encourage proper sentence structure and grammar. To add to that, they could listen to recorded stories or even record themselves reading on the computer or ipad to build on those skills.