Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Module 2 Reading Response

"The major folklore of reading instruction relates to the "theory" that reading is considered and exact process. In other words, the reader is expected to read everything exactly as printed on the page in order to understand the message of the author. In general the consuming public, legislatures, courts, and too many educators hold to this theory. It is like the theory of the world being flat during the time of Columbus." -Robert Harper and Gary Kilarr

In the above quote, Harper and Kilarr disagree with the notion that students have to read each and every word in a text correctly and completely in order to comprehend the text. They believe that this is an old school idea "like the theory of the world being flat during the time of Columbus." I absolutely agree with this quote. In our readings, we learned about all the types of clues that students use to decode a text. Students can utilize graphic clues, context, syntax, and semantics to draw conclusions from the text. As it states in the text, miscues are not always bad.

In education today, so many assessments check students for knowing reading as an exact process. We do running records, check sight words, and push students to increase their words per minute. But what if we are missing the point? I found it so interesting when the text stated, "the percentage of miscues involving pronouns and function words tends to increase as one becomes a more proficient reader" (Weaver, 2002. p.72). This, to me, serves as proof that readers do not need to treat reading as an exact process in order to become successful.

As demonstrated in the text, sometimes a miscue is just a proficient reader predicting the next word of the text. Weaver shows us a running record of Jay. Jay predicts words. Although the words are not the same ones in the text, however, he is using context clues to decode meaning (Weaver, 2002. p66-68). I think that this type of miscue actually shows that the student is comprehending the text as they go along. This should be a desirable trait of proficient readers.

As a teacher, I feel that this quote from Weaver accurately describes my goals as I am implementing reading instruction: "The goal of reading instruction should not be the accurate identification of every word, but rather the effective and efficient use of reading strategies in order to construct meaning" (Weaver, 2002. p. 71).

References:

Weaver, C. (2002). Reading Process & Practice (3rd ed.). Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann

1 comment:

  1. I think that your statement about proficient readers miscuing because they are predicting the next word is so true. Those students are comprehending as they are reading, just inserting the wrong predicted word into the text. Most times, it seems those students correct themselves. I think too often students are nervous reading aloud because they don't want to miscue. If we share our beliefs with them that sometimes this is a desirable trait, like you said, then I think many students would be much more comfortable reading aloud.

    ReplyDelete