Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Final Personal Model of Reading Theory



Sharla Bryant
7/10/2013
Final Personal Model of Reading Theory
            At the beginning of this course, I was so confused on what method was best for teaching reading. There are so many programs out there, all with different methods to the same claim: that they are the best method in reading instruction. After all I have learned in this course, I realize that a comprehensive approach to literacy is the most effective method. There is so much more to reading instruction than I had previously realized.
            In my first model of reading theory, I was struggling to make sense of what I had learned. In my classroom experience, I implemented a direct instruction program, while in college, I learned of the wonderful results of a constructivist approach to literacy. For me, there is no more confusion. What I love about the idea of the comprehensive literacy approach is the inclusion of so many different types of activities that engage all types of learners. The compressive approach includes guided reading, guided writing, shared reading, shared writing, journaling, reading aloud, reading to self, and reading conferences. It also involves working in small groups, whole groups, and individually. Every student is exposed to a variety of activities while still getting just the right kind of instruction to help them thrive.
            In my reading instruction in my classroom, I have always focused heavily on what I now know is called the skills approach. I focused so much on teaching students letter sounds and the process of putting those sounds together to make words. When students were becoming more proficient at reading words, they were able to read texts. When checking students to allow them to move up to the next level, I would time them and count their miscues, but did not ask comprehension questions. I know now that even the most proficient readers miscue. This could be a sign of using context clues or reading ahead. I hope to take what I’ve learned of reading proficiency and miscues back to my classroom and the teachers in my team so that we can better assess the reading levels of our students.
            As a kindergarten teacher, phonics instruction will always be a part of my curriculum. I still believe that the basics of phonics are necessary for reading readiness. Throughout this course I have learned ways to better include phonics instruction. Phonics can be embedded in other activities and not separated from other areas of reading. The more I think about this, the more it makes sense. Why wouldn’t we teach phonics through reading activities instead of flashcards? When phonics is taught separately from reading, students do not relate phonics and reading. When they are taught together, students automatically use phonics skills to aid in the reading process.
            Something that did not change, but only grew stronger throughout this course is my belief that students must be inspired to read. I feel that it is my duty as a teacher to give students books that interest them to create passionate readers. Reading has always been important to me and one of my favorite pastimes. I want my students to feel the same way about reading. Reading can be so much more than an assignment. It can be a source of entertainment and knowledge. Students that are passionate readers often turn into passionate learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment