Thursday, July 4, 2013

Module 4 Instructional Challenge

Marcus is a student who very frequently miscues by substituting words that start with the same letter or first few letters of the word in the text, but his substitutions often are not syntactically or semantically acceptable (they neither sound right grammatically nor make sense). What possible teaching strategies would you suggest to help Marcus?

Since Marcus is making miscues that aren't making sense, he is obviously not comprehending what he is reading. To help Marcus, I would work with him one on one. I would break down the text and ask him questions throughout his reading. I would also take a book walk with him to look at the pictures and make predictions of what he thinks the book will be about. He may also want to use notes or drawings to help him remember what he is reading. It may also help Marcus to buddy read the book, or read aloud and see if everything sounds right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment