Saturday, July 6, 2013

Module 5 Reading Response

As a Kindergarten teacher, I have always believed that phonics is an important component of a comprehensive literacy program. I believe that there are many parts of the program in which phonics can fit. Phonics can fit in guided reading to help students decode words that they do not recognize. It can be used in word work using a variety of activities. I have found phonics to be especially fun in shared writing. Since writing takes words and breaks them down into sounds, I think phonics is an important part of spelling, especially when young students are using unconventional spelling.
Being a kindergarten teacher, I realize that phonics plays a larger role in my classroom than it may in a higher grade where readers are more proficient. However, in primary grades when students must learn sounds in order to decode words and become a proficient reader, phonics serves as a building block to a comprehensive literacy program.

4 comments:

  1. While many strongly suggest not having a heavy focus on phonics, I agree with you that it must be part of a primary grade literacy program. Although not all of the time needs to spent breaking down words into sounds, it is important that students learn this concept. Like you mention, this is the way young students begin to spell and decode unknown words- both of which are essential in becoming a good reader. I also like your suggestion of using phonics in the shared writing part of a literacy program. I think this would work very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the importance of focusing on phonics in the earlier grades. My experience is mainly with 1st grade, and this is an important year in which phonics instruction needs to be integrated frequently. I agree with Weaver that it shouldn't be in isolation, but it should still be a main focus of teaching within things like guided reading or shared reading. I agree with you about the importance of teaching students to spell and decode words by having knowledge about phonics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a third grade teacher, I definitely agree with you that phonics plays a larger role in earlier grades, due to the foundation children are building as beginning readers. As Madison mentioned, Weaver does not suggest that phonics be taught in isolation, but integrated with writing and reading workshops. So that when they do get in third grade, and the upper grades, they have a strong foundation to learn higher level reading and other phonics skills as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you! I love having the kids use phonics skills in shared writing. I think that it really helps them to learn to write and be able to spell words on their own. I also like using it during guided reading as well.

    ReplyDelete