Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Module 6 Instructional Challenge

Next year, you will be teaching in a school where the vast majority of students did not meet standard on your state's criterion-referenced test and where more than 75% of the students are eligible for free and reduced-price meals. What are some specific universal literacy strategies you may implement to ensure students success? Include both in-class examples and things you could do outside the classroom.

Even in a school that is socioeconomically disadvantaged and has low achievement, I believe that a comprehensive literacy program would still be best. In chapter 15, we learned that even low achieving students benefit from a comprehensive literacy program.  It would be important for me to put the students in homogeneous groupings be achievement levels to make them comfortable and build their confidence levels. I would be sure to give a lot of positive reinforcement. The strategies that I would incorporate include reading aloud, shared reading and writing, and giving students access to books that interest them. I would also make sure that students had access to books that they could take home with them. If the student had homework, I would make sure they took all necessary supplies home with them.

2 comments:

  1. Danielle,
    I definitely think it is important for students to be in homogenous groups. I think this is great for them in many ways: they are work with people on the same skill level, have similar interests, and often in the early childhood grades grouping students based on their sex also helps students create relationships and there is peer scaffolding available.

    I think that using shared reading and writing and read alouds would be very successful in the classroom. This would help so that the teacher can model what is expected then allow the students to construct their own work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive reinforcement is one aspect I believe most students who are struggling with reading look forward to. A little positive reinforcement helps boost self-confidence and can help make a struggling reader a little more confident in the classroom and around their peers. I also agree that it is important for students to be grouped with their peers who are on the same skill level, as this will also help with their reading confidence and allow them to take chances with their learning.

    ReplyDelete