Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Module 6 Reading Reflection

Does any of the information presented in Chapter 15 influence your personal philosophy of reading? In what ways? How has your perspective this changed since you took the DeFord TORP a few weeks ago?

Chapter 15 confirmed my growing support of a comprehensive reading program. In the reading this week, I was able to see the data proving that students who were involved in a comprehensive reading program were more successful than students who learned to read in individualized parts. These students were involved in shared reading and writing, read alouds, guided reading, reading to themselves from student selected books, and learning phonics embedded in these activities. 
I love that there is such an emphasis on allowing students to read books that interest them. That is so important to me. I always try to gain the interest of my students in each lesson that I teach. My school does book swaps where students can bring in books that they have read or do not like and swap them with other students to find a book that interests them.  
With a scripted phonics program, it is sometimes difficult to incorporate aspects of a comprehensive reading program. Throughout this course, I have realized how important it is to make an effort to incorporate these activities. 
When I took the TORP, my focus was on skills. While I still believe the development of reading skills is important, each of the sections is important to the reading process. One of the main changes in my beliefs over the course of this semester is that proficient readers don't miscue. I now know that just because a student doesn't get every word in a text correct, it doesn't mean that they are not proficient readers.

1 comment:

  1. My school does the book swap as well. I think that is a great strategy to get students to read. Students should be allowed to read books that interest them frequently at school. I think we get caught up on levels so much that we forget that students comprehend better when they read something they like. My results were similar to your TORP results. I found interesting to see that my views had changed so much. It is excited to the growth in my learning.

    ReplyDelete